Lifes Little Adventures...

Lifes Little Adventures...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Amalfi Coast, Italy

I have lots to catch you up on…first I wanted to start off by posting about my work trip to The Amalfi Coast. On July 14th I left for this 10 day work trip. We took a group of 60 to Sorrento, Italy on the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento is one of the coolest places I have ever been. It is such a small European town with a great little downtown, good shopping, fun nightlife and amazing food/restaurants!

Here were some of the highlights from the trip:
  • Sail to Positano and Amalfi - We had a private sail planned for our group to Positano and Amalfi. This consisted of a city tour in Amalfi Village and free time for lunch and shopping in Positano. I really enjoyed Positano, it is so picturesque!
  • Positano
    Positano
    Our group sailing to Amalfi
    The Square in Amalfi
    Tendering to Positano
  • Tour of Pompeii- Pompeii is known as the ‘Forgotten Roman City.’ It has been buried since 79 AD when Mt. Vesuvius unleashed it’s fury on the 20,000 inhabitants of this thriving Roman City.
  • Day trip to Capri- We took the public ferry to the island of Capri on one of the worst possible days. The sea was SO ROUGH we had a lot of our guests getting sick on the ride over. We had planned to do a boat tour around the island and have everyone go inside the Blue Grotto when we got there. But since the water was so rough we were unable to do that. Instead, we did a tour of Capri, took the group up to the top of the island, Ana Capri, so they could go on the chairlift and gave some time at leisure for lunch and shopping.
  • Pizza Party in Naples- I’ve got to admit I am not a fan of Naples. I know it is a bad time for the city but regardless of the trash etc. I was not impressed. ALTHOUGH they do have some amazing pizza!
  • Dinner in Ravello followed by a Wynton Marsalis outdoor concert- The outdoor concert venue is on the edge of a cliff in the town of Ravello. The stage actually goes over the cliff, pretty cool... 
  • Concert Venue
    Ravello, Italy
  • Private opera concert - For our groups Final Night Awards Dinner they booked a very special opera duet. It was amazing and I didn’t even know I liked opera!
  •  Last but not least...lots of shopping, exploring and site seeing

    Our hotel terrace
    our hotel, the Excelsior Vittoria
    firework shows every night we were in Sorrento
    Yummy Tiramisu
    Me waiting for the Cobbler to make a pair of shoes for me!

On my last day of the work program Matt met me in Sorrento and we started our 10 day vacation in Italy and Greece! I will save that for another post(s) this week.
 
Until next time...